This guide is far from all-inclusive, but the major steps you can take ahead of time are listed below.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check the batteries monthly. Replace the batteries annually.
- Have fire extinguishers on hand, and on every floor of the house.
- Use the daylight saving time change as a reminder to check the charge on your extinguishers.
- Procure a weather alert radio and an emergency kit.
- Plan for a fire escape route and a safe place to meet in an emergency or if you have to evacuate the house.
- Keep a list of important phone numbers, and have your important papers in a safe place.
This page was authored by Dr. James C. Montgomery MD FAAP.