- Evaluate toys for appropriateness carefully. Your child may be frustrated by a toy requiring more dexterity than he possesses. Your hall of fame child will not be able to hold a full sized football effectively.
- They will wander away from you in the store. When you find them and scold them they will think you are crazy, then they will either cry or have a hissy fit, or both. Remain calm. Hug them.
- As they approach kindergarten, teach them their address and phone number, what is 911 and how to call, and what to do when they are lost (stay put).
- Teach them safe social behavior and the early parts of taking care of themselves when separated from you. Part of this is location and situational awareness.
- Start teaching them about fire, how to get out of the house if need be, and where to go. You need to know too. Perhaps a neighbor could be introduced as a safe place.
This page was authored by Dr. James C. Montgomery MD FAAP.